Name Project- Digital Photography
In this project, you will create a document of your name, using your digital camera to find representations of the alphabet. For example, a side of a building hitting a sidewalk might make an L, or a key hole would make an O. You have to use AT LEAST four letters for the assignment- if your name is shorter, please do your first name and last initial. Take at least two separate pictures of your letters, in case one isn’t too exciting or is out of focus, etc. PLEASE NOTE that if a picture is out of focus, there is nothing you can do in Photoshop to make it in focus! You will be turning in a contact sheet as well as creating a final document.
Steps: Click open up your first photograph of your first letter in your first name in Photoshop by right clicking on the thumbnail and selecting Photoshop.
1. Using the crop tool, crop to where the letter looks best.
2. Change to black and white by going to menu, image- adjustments- desaturate.
3. Go to image- adjustments, adjust the brightness/contrast to make the letter stand out.
4. Use the move tool to move the letter to the initial blank document to make a new layer. Put the letter in the far left and title each layer in box to what each letter is.
5. Open up the second letter in Photoshop. Do the same as the above until you are done bringing over letters.
6. If you need to change the size of any of the letters, you may use the “transform” key. Use the pull down menu under “edit” and then go to “transform” then “scale”. You need to change the size to the appropriate one, then apply it by clicking on another key in the menu bar, say, the rectangular marquee key.
7. Note that if you want to make changes to any of the individual letters, you need to select the correct layer in order to be able to make them!
8. Keep saving your work as a Photoshop file- once it’s saved as a jpeg, you can’t work with it again because it will merge the layers and you won’t be able to work on it further!
9. You may want to save the individual letters after you crop them in case you need to do adjustments.
10. After you have created the document, merge all layers using layer- merge visible. Save as a jpeg titling it as your lastname.firstname.nameproject and keeping it in your finished project folder.
Originality (30 points) Time on Task (10 points) Correct Scale (20 points)
Full name (10 points) Computer work (10 points) Photography (20 points)