Your ad must be vertical, 8-1/2" wide x 11" tall, 300 resolution.
To crop in Photoshop CC 2015- use the crop tool and the crop preset option on the top left to choose 8-1/2" x 11", 300 resolution.
If your photo that you made was accidentally horizontal or you want a plain background-
In Photoshop, go file > new > Preset will be US Paper. Name it your lastname-firstname-advertisement.
Choose a color to use as the background of your ad by clicking on the top left rectangle on the squares at the bottom of the tool bar. Then use the paint bucket tool to get the color on the background.
Include within your ad these six things:
1. Visual- your photo, completely in focus, with the label or tag with the name of the product easy to read.
2. Headline- something catchy that would appeal to the audience you're trying to sell the product to. State a claim about the item. Make sure the first letter of each word is in caps, that it's the largest font size on the ad, and bold. You may also do things such as curve the letters (on the top type tool is the T with a curve under it) or add strokes around the letters by right clicking (control + click) on the T thumbnail, choosing blending options and choosing what you want from there.
3. Body copy- about the product in your own words, based on what you researched on block day. Reiterate the claim from the headline and give evidence to support it. How would you sell it? What would make YOU buy it versus it's competitor? What is the product's unique selling point? Write the copy in at least two sentences to one paragraph and make sure it makes sense. You may use what was done before in their ads as a jumping off point, but it should in be your own words and your own idea. Make sure what you write corresponds with the image. There should be NO typos, and use proper grammar- I recommend typing it in Microsoft Word first. Check with me before finishing it up!
4. Company's Logo- make sure it's high resolution from the internet and the actual logo- at the bottom, usually bottom right hand side. Remember- go to google images, use advanced search, then large image- find what you need, click on it, press on "view image", then "file, save image as." Open it up in Photoshop and drag it over to the photograph by using the move tool. Change the size of the logo as needed by pressing edit- transform- scale and bring it to the size you need- smaller then the headline and copy!
5. Tagline- underneath the logo (use the company's, or if there is none, create your own- i.e. Nike, "just do it"). It should not be bigger then the logo.
6. Contact- Accurate information on where to find the product (such as their website), do not make it up! Put underneath the tagline or at the very bottom.
*Make sure all the written information on the ad does not touch the edge of the advertisement- give at least a finger's width from the edges.
Save your ad as lastname-firstname-advertisement.jpg with all the layers merged in the common drive folder- 04-07-2016 Advertising.
Please note: your ad will be somewhere around 3- 8 MB in size if it was done correctly.
Make sure the visual is completely in focus, geared toward the audience you're trying to reach, and compelling enough to make someone want to buy the product!
Past examples here
Graded on 20/20
1. Research (5 points)- did research on product, three separate ideas as thumbnail sketches, did at least 24 photographs with different settings to draw your ad from.
2. Visual (5 points)- in focus, good image of product, well lit, exposed correctly where it's not too dark/bright, no dust in the sky.
3. Body copy (5 points)- copy at least two sentences, no misspelling/grammatical errors, headline in bold and capped first letter (or all caps) and relates to the copy, tagline included and related to product
4. Craftsmanship (5 points)- all six items needed for ad included (headline, copy, artwork, logo, tagline and contact info), easy to read, correct dimensions of 8-1/2" width x 11" high, saved as lastname-firstname-advertising.jpg with layers merged in 04-07-2016 folder.
5. Time on task and citizenship (5 points)- no phones during class, came to class on time, worked on task at hand, did not distract others, respecting the teacher.