Video on creating one
Have two tabs open for Photoshop-
- The mandala PSD template that is under your period # in the RBV-Class1 shared drive- in the 03-01-2018 Mandala folder named "Mandala-circle-template.psd." DRAG THE TEMPLATE TO YOUR DESKTOP!
- The photograph that you are using as a source for your mandala
1. Select the pie layer on the top left hand side
2. Use the magic wand tool on the pie area and press click to select the area
3. Drag that select size over to the photograph you are using and choose an area you want to copy (do not use the move tool).
4. Press command + c to copy the area on the source photograph.
5. Go back to the template and press command + v to paste the selection onto the pie area.
6. Go to layer- duplicate layer and move it to the second pie area to the left side.
7. Press edit- transform- flip horizontal so it’s the symmetrical image of the first layer.
8. Press edit- transform- rotate to get it into the proper place. Make sure it lines up perfectly! It takes time!
9. Once it’s lined up perfectly, press command + click on both the layers.
10. Press layer- merge layers to group them as one.
11. If there is still a part of the second pie left (black space on the left), edit- transform-scale to cover it.
10. Once both the second and first pie area is covered perfectly, press layer- duplicate layer.
11. Move that layer to the second left part of the pie by pressing the move tool and edit- transform- rotate.
12. Once that area is perfectly set up, merge those layers together by selecting the layer thumbnails, pressing command-click and press layer- merge layers.
13. Duplicate that layer by pressing layer- duplicate layer.
14. Move that layer over to the right side and edit- transform- flip horizontal. Line up perfectly.
15. Merge those layers together by pressing both layer thumbnails then layer- merge layer.
16. Duplicate the layer by pressing layer- duplicate layer.
17. Move the layer down, and press edit- transform- flip vertical.
18. Move the layer to where it needs to go to line up with the top half of the mandala.
19. When you’re done merge all the layers and delete the layer with the pie template so there's no lines showing- yay!
20. To get a color in the background, select the background layer, use the paint bucket tool, choose a color from the palette, and click on a blank area. Voila!
You will create TWO mandalas. Save them as lastname-firstname-mandala1.jpg and lastname-firstname-mandala2.jpg in the 03-01-2018 Common Drive and add them to the class padlet with your name and before and after. Title them!
For my students that finish early- here is the information on how to create a circular mandala. with more lines.
Here is the tutorial on youtube to get the mandala- get the template on the written tutorial above though.
Period 1: padlet.com/kclarkart/mandala1
Period 2: padlet.com/kclarkart/mandala2
Period 4: padlet.com/kclarkart/Mandala4
Period 5: padlet.com/kclarkart/Mandala5
Period 6: padlet.com/kclarkart/Mandala6