You will be creating an artwork based on the concept of "RESPECT YOURSELF." First brainstorm and create four different thumbnails of ideas that you will photograph, which will be black and white with a pop of red. You will take at least 24 photographs of your ideas and choose the top one when you come back to class. Think about things like where you're taking the photograph (the background), what the concept is, where the red will be, and how you will pose your model to get your idea across.
When you get back to class from taking photographs, make a contact sheet of all of your photographs. Put your contact sheet as a PDF in the classroom folder as lastname-firstname-respect-contact 10-6-2016 RESPECT.
Video on how to make a PDF of your contact sheet here
How to make your photograph black and white with red in Adobe Photoshop- video tutorial
- Open up your photograph in Adobe Photoshop.
- Go to layer- duplicate layer. Make sure that the layer on top is the same photo as the one on bottom and not blank.
- Go to image > adjustments >black and white on the TOP layer. This will turn the layer black and white.
- Use the ERASER tool on the toolbar to erase the area that you want to be red.
- To make the brush larger use the left bracket tool ] (under the delete button) and smaller use the right bracket [ tool.
- If you mess up at any time, go to edit- step backwards to the last step- you may have to do it a few times.
- If you need to see the image larger and do it more precisely, press Command +
- If you need to make the image more vibrant red, click on the bottom layer and go to edit- adjustments- color balance. Slide the scale more to “red” to where you would like it.
- Once you are done, save your work as a photoshop file as lastname-firstname-respect.psd with BOTH layers for your desktop (so you can go back and change it if needed.)
- AFTER you save the image as a PSD file, go to layer- merge layers.
- Save as lastname-firstname-respect.jpg
- Do a write up in Microsoft word where you explain what your artwork is about in two or more paragraphs. Save as lastname-firstname-respect-writeup
- Put your image and write up in the classroom folder 10-6-2016 RESPECT
- Put your image and write up on your website with the title RESPECT
Time on task- 5 points
Time on task (not goofing off) (1),
Partner work (1),
Respectful to teacher (1),
No cell phones (1),
never late to class (1)
Photograph- 5 points
Photo in focus (2),
exposure not to dark or light (1),
good background which relates to respect (1),
no random junk / people in background (1),
Computer work- 5 points
Contact sheet in common drive saved as lastname-firstname-contact-respect (1),
Image black and white with color (1)
Color part neatly put in correct area (1)
red part relevant to story (1)
image saved as lastname-firstname-respect in common drive (1)
Written work- 5 points
Thumbnail sketch with four ideas (1)
Write up about idea in two or more paragraphs (2)
Write up in common drive as lastname-firstname-writeup-respect (1)
Website has your image and writeup (1)