You must have the following items in your design:
1. Start out by finding the pre-existing album cover to base your work on and print it out.
2. You MUST begin with thumbnail sketches in pencil and show me your ideas before getting on the computer. I need to see that you have fleshed out three different ideas for your cover, with the front and back covers working together to tell a story.
3. Your case MUST have a resolution of 300 and the measurements must be done using the ruler to get:
a. Back cover : 5” w x 4.75” high
b. Front cover : 4.5” w x 4.75” high THIS IS ON THE RIGHT HAND SIDE AND SMALLER THAN BACK
c. Spine: .5" wide” x 4.75” high
d. Note: the back cover, front cover, and spine must read as one document- so it’s 10” width x
4.75” high. Use the guides to separate it accordingly.
4. Your artwork MUST have at least two of your original photographs, emulating the style of the band. The photographs should include a manipulation of previous styles taught in class, either fast shutter speed, HDR, Selective Color, or Filters. You must use the masking technique to combine any photographs with images found from the internet.
5. Your CD case MUST emulate the band and music in style, both through the artwork and typeface. You can download specific fonts from dafont.com, please ask me to show you how to download them! Be sure it's a FREE font before trying to download it.
6. Your case also MUST be completely different from the original CD artwork.
7. Your CD case MUST have the following information:
a. Band name, Title of CD on all covers and spine (note: spine must have this information on
b. Trademark of record label (ie Sony, MTV) and barcode
c. Song list on back cover
d. "CD Design by Your Name" on back cover
8. Your work must include some transformation of text (through warping, scale, etc), and manipulation of your photograph (either through the tilt shift technique, HDR, multiple exposures, select color, etc).
You will be graded as follows:
Time on Task- actively working (10 pts)
Measurements/ Resolution- all measurements and resolution done correctly (10 pts)
Front cover- dynamic graphics, name/title of artist and CD, well set up (30 pts)
Spine- right size, fonts reading correctly and to the side (10 pts)
Back cover- dynamic graphics, name/title of artist, song titles, well set up (20 pts)
Research and Thumbnail sketches- (20 pts)